iPhone SMS export
Here you can download a small app developed by myself that is able to extract the list of SMS from the backup of your iPhone created using iTunes and export it in a form of a text file. The required steps are the following:
- Download the application (see below) and extract the archive
- Connect your iPhone to the PC, run iTunes and sync your phone or create a backup
- Start the application using iPhoneSmsExport.exe
If everything goes well you will see a message saying “Export successful” and a sms.txt file will appear in the same folder, containing the list of your sent and received messages sorted by the phone number and time. If several iTunes backups are found in the computer you will be asked which one to export.
- iPhoneSmsExport for iOS 10 (64bit Windows only)
- iPhoneSmsExport for iOS 6 – 9
- iPhoneSmsExport for iOS 5
- Source code (for MS Visual Studio)
- The program is provided free of charge and comes without any warranty.
- Supported operating systems are Windows XP, Windows
Vista and Windows 7.
Windows XP are not supported (although this would require only a minor change). The application has been tested on Windows 7.
- iMessage messages are partially supported (excluding group chat)
- Only textual part is extracted from MMS.
- The output file is in UTF-8 encoding (important for correct character display, e.g. diacritic).
- The columns in the output file are tab separated which makes it easy to import the file into Excel or Calc.